This One-Year Apprenticeships project in Fes, Morocco aims to preserve and pass down traditional knowledge by providing art training to children. In a rapidly changing world, it is essential to ensure that the rich heritage of at-Tasṯīr: Moroccan Geometric Patterns, continues to thrive. Through a partnership between CRAFT DRAFT and the Medina Children's Library, this project, aims at empowering young Fes Medina minds with the skills and techniques rooted in the city's artistic traditions.
By offering art training to children, we hope to ignite their interest in traditional Moroccan art forms especially drawing traditional Moroccan geometric motifs. Through online and in-person hands-on workshops and experienced instructors, we are nurturing their creativity and teaching them the intricacies of these ancient crafts.
The project also highlights the importance of cultural preservation by encouraging children to appreciate their cultural heritage. By engaging them in the process of creating traditional art, we foster a sense of pride and ownership in their cultural identity.
Moreover, this project serves as a platform to bridge the generation gap, promoting knowledge transfer from older generations to the youth. Skilled artisans and craftsmen share their expertise with the children, passing on invaluable techniques and insights. This intergenerational exchange not only ensures the preservation of traditional art but also creates a strong sense of community and mutual respect.
Ultimately, the art training provided to these children becomes a powerful tool for cultural continuity. It enables them to keep Moroccan traditions alive, protecting the legacy of their ancestors while adapting it to the demands of the modern world. Through this project, we envision a future where traditional knowledge thrives, igniting a lifelong passion for art and preserving an integral part of Moroccan heritage.
- One-Year Apprenticeship on how to draw Moroccan geometric patterns and how to apply patterns on several craft materials
- Filed Coordinator: Lamyae Lazrak
- Trainee/Apprentice: Khadija
- Lead Instructor: Hamza El Fasiki
- 7 skilled children
- Boys and Girls: sons and daughters of artisans
- In Fes Medina
- Partners: CRAFT DRAFT & Medina Children Library
"I want to learn this craft because it is my father's trade and if I even fail at school I want this craft to safe me"
" I want to learn this craft becauce it is my country's pride and I love Morocco"
"I like to drawing patterns becasue it makes feel relaxed"
"I like traditional crafts and in case I fail in my formal education I want to at least have a craft skill to help me go on with my life"
"my dream is to one day teach traditional crafts to kids too"
"I like to learn this craft and I want to teach it too. I want to have my own craft studio and I want to be an architect when I grow up"
We are thrilled to introduce to you our latest fundraising project - "A One-Year Children's Art Apprenticeship". This initiative aims to preserve and celebrate Fes' rich artistic heritage by providing profound training in traditional arts to the city's youth.
We need your support to raise money for three important stages of the project:
1. Providing Drawing Tools: To nurture the artistic abilities of these young talents, we aim to equip them with high-quality drawing tools. By donating towards this cause, you will ensure that each child has access to the following essential art supplies:
- A professional Drawing Compass holding a mechanical pencil: 0.5
- Mechanical Pencil: 0.7 for drawing lines
- Metal Rulers: 30 cm & 50 cm
- Sheets of Drawing Paper (A3)
2. Museum Tickets: Exposing children to the wealth of artistic treasures hosted in museums, such as the 14th C. Bu Inania Madrasa in Fes, is an invaluable opportunity for their artistic development and cultural understanding. With your help, we can provide museum tickets for these young artists, granting them the chance to experience firsthand the masterpieces of esteemed Moroccan artists and artisans. This exposure will broaden their horizons, inspire their imagination, and connect them to their artistic heritage in a profound way.
3. Workshops with Artisans: There is no better way to learn traditional arts than by working closely with skilled artisans. We aspire to organize workshops where these young artists can engage directly with experienced craftspeople and learn the techniques and wisdom passed down through generations. Your donations will help cover the costs of workshop materials, instructor fees, and logistical arrangements, ensuring that these transformative experiences become a reality for the children.
Your donations, no matter the size, will make a meaningful impact by contributing to the purchase of drawing tools, museum tickets, and facilitating engaging workshops with artisans. Together, let's nurture a new generation of Moroccan artists who will embrace their heritage, express themselves through art, and contribute to the cultural legacy of their nation.
Thank you for being a part of our mission.
Medina Children's Library
1. Providing Drawing Tools
2. Museum Tickets
3. Workshops with Artisans
Please leave a message stating that your donation is towards this project (this will help us allocate your contribution to this cause).